Monday, May 25, 2009

HR848- Black radio stations are LYING to us!

I'm late on getting into the nuts and bolts of this issue, but I'm on it now, and I have to say my piece real quick.


I don't actually listen to the radio, but the buzz that came around recently was this whole thing about how personalities were making a big fuss on "urban" radio stations, hollerin about how "they are trying to destroy Black radio stations". It was presented as some ol "fight for your rights" scenario, and me being in the music industry,and well, being Black, I decided to look more into it, wondering how it would effect me as an artist.

Well, lo and behold, it's a total lie. There IS a bill out there, proposed by Rep John Conyers, that proposes that broadcasters pay a performance royalty to artists and labels. Different personalities in many cities, got on the air and pushed it to the public as a "tax", which is a total lie.

A tax goes to a government entity of some sort. This royalty goes to artists and record companies. Let me explain:

You ever wonder if Luther, or his family get paid, every time "Superstar" gets played on the radio? Well, NO. That song was written by the Carpenters back in the day. It was a minor hit for them, but because of how Luther arranged it and sang it, it was a huge hit for him. It plays all the time, and the only people who get paid for it are the publisher and the writer. Luther's voice made the difference, and people tune into the "classic soul" station, in whatever city to hear Luther sing it. This bill proposes that he gets some change for that. Many artists are not writers, but if they are the "performers" of a classic, they should be compensated, maybe not as much, but somewhat like the writers are. This has been on the table since at least 1979, and America is the only industrialized nation to not support this-- well, China, North Korea, and the CONGO agree with America, so that counts for something huh?

What makes it worse is that in countries like, Canada, UK, and Japan, where our music is played-- American artists don't get paid performance royalites from them, because they refuse to pay if the US won't reciprocate, so American artists get cheated Worldwide.

We all know that many artists who performed classic songs, may not be fortunate enough to have lasting careers. Not many do. It's good that writers, like myself, can continue to make money, for as long as we control our copyrights. It would also be nice to know that the singer of an epic tune, is seeing SOMETHING for their work.


That's what this bill proposes. The only reason it hasn't passed in all this time is because of the power that lobbyists for the Broadcasting companies have been exerting.


The broadcasters would have you believe that the evil record company's came up with this idea yesterday, just because they aren't selling many records any more. A total untruth. Again, it's been issue since well before the boom they all enjoyed in the 80' and 90's. I have issues with labels, no question, but that aint one of em.


What I find even more despicable about their message is this whole thing about how it's really for the small independent stations, like that's who they are really fighting for.

Check this out. I need to mention that there is actually a segment of radio that DOES have to pay this performance right already. A segment who isn't covered by the lobbyists so they had to pay outright. Satellite, Internet, and digital radio- the real independents, who are the enemy of the am/fm stations. Funny how that bill passed a few years ago, yet no one shouted about it on the radio- yet they claim to be fighting for the "little man".Really?

Look, it probably looks like I may be cutting my own throat by bringing this up, because afterall, I'm supposed to get played on the radio for you to hear my song, know who I am, and maybe buy my music right? Well, I'm not the only artist who agrees with this proposal, matter of fact, I'm extremely late in getting hip to it, and more than likely the smallest fish to fry in this. The seeds for this HR were sown by artists much more famous than me, including the Dixie Chicks, Brian Wilson, Aimee Mann, Los Lonely Boys, Judy Collins, Don Henley, Tony Bennett, and John Legend.

With this blog, I'm just announcing my support for such a cause, and I have the radio stations to thank for bringing the matter to my attention. Whaddyaknow? They are useful in disseminating information.

I don't even wanna get into what I like or dislike about radio. That aint even important, and like I said, I've found so many other ways to get new music and info, I'm not even mad about that anymore- I just don't like the lie they are telling folk, and the racial spin, which is irrelevant in my opinion. If you wanna know more about the bill and what it actually is, I suggest a quick google search on HR848 or the term "performance royalties".

I wish all radio stations, whatever the genre, the best of luck in surviving when they have to start paying performance royalties.
Photobucket
Photobucket




Here are a few links to articles that I enjoyed reading on the topic

SHOULD WE SAVE BLACK RADIO?
http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=5711ed2dbf22abc8fd19e884ca4a77e1

PERFORMANCE ROYALTIES

http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles/kh_royalties.htm

HOW DAVID BEATS GOLIATH

http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles/kh_royalties.htm

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for breaking that down in layman's terms. I'd been wondering what this legislation was that had Cathy Hughes on the radio pleading for us to call our congressmen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this blog post, I didn't even know about this bill. I'll highlight this on my FB page and twitter feed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it sad that alot of black bloggers and writers are spinning this as a bill to "get rid of black radio", and unfortunately, their readers ARE NOT doing any research of their own, and just taking the bait. Seriously people, do you honestly think that a Senator stood up in the middle of the House and said, "I'd like to introduce Bill #848! It's a bill to get rid of Black radio."?

    Also, Kathy Hughes don't give a rat's ass about the smaller indie stations, but now, all of a sudden, she's concerned about their welfare, because it helps HER argument and case. (smh)
    I also find it funny that these dj's on the "black" stations that are crying the loudest on this subject, are the same "black" dj's and program directors that my label had to supply with drugs, money, and hookers just to get them to play our music. I would call it Karma, but this is just the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom Joyner is against this bill and has discussed it extensively. He is of the opinion that record labels should be the ones who dish out the dollars to artists when their songs are played. He claims that if small local black radio stations are forced to foot the bill every time they spin, the money they pay will affect their ability to carry his and other shows, which draw folks to AM and other smaller radio venues and subsequently to their advertisers. What is your take on that point of view?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that if they play the songs, they should pay for the reasons I stated above. Now the amount they have to pay may be in question, but not whether or not they should pay. That makes it a cost of doing business, which isn't optional. I'd love to tell my bill collectors that they shouldn't charge, simply because I couldn't pay, but I can't. I've heard Tom, and as much of a fan of his I have been, frankly, I think he isn't being honest, and he's using devices to pull peoples heartstrings, to keep money in the pockets of the broadcasters. He's using his voice for what they need him to do. If you take a look at some of the blogs I pointed out, and see more of the info, you an come up with your own conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony,

    You are right on the money.
    It's a shame that some knee-gro broadcasters are using "race baiting tactics" to try and keep our people brainwashed!!

    If you go to the following link you can hear Chuck D & I discussing this entire issue in detail as a part of his AirAmerica broadcast a few weeks ago

    http://bit.ly/DEhKK I'll see u in Philly @ the Keswick

    Bob Davis - earthjuice@prodigy.net

    SOUL-PATROL.COM WEBSITE
    www.soul-patrol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great commentary, I appreciate your 2 cents on the matter. I rarely listen to the radio either, however 1 day I did hear a spiel and was curious to kno what it was about. I recall a few years back online stations were vocalizing this issue and sites such as pandora, etc were threatening extinction if it were to pass... yet they are still around. I assume black radio and all smaller radio stations equally will have to make away to cover this new cost. Quite unfortunate how they are spinning the entire campaign tho... kinda unscrupulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This really put some things in perspective for me. I happen to know some of the execs at Radio One personally and I don't put alot of the antics past them. hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete